Overall Goal of the Fund
The Fund will invest in the quality of life of the community in much the same way our responsive cycles do, but on a smaller scale with a quicker turnaround. Successful applications will:
- be for requests of $1,000 or less;
- fill an unexpected or emergency need; and/or
- meet a need that is timely and cannot wait for our regular responsive cycles (which have deadlines of March 1 and October 1).
Who is eligible?
Tax-exempt 501(c)3 nonprofit organizations, educational institutions, and municipalities in Emmet County or serving a significant number of Emmet County residents are generally eligible. Eligible organizations must not have any late final reports from previous grants or received another Discretionary Grant from the Community Foundation within the same calendar year. In addition, organizations must have applied for a grant through our regular responsive grant cycle in the past five years.
How much funding is available?
Total amount available: Up to $10,000 per year.
Grant size: Up to $1,000.
What types of requests are not eligible for funding?
- Annual giving campaigns
- Support directly to individuals
- Religious programs that advocate specific religious doctrines or do not serve the broader community
- Services which are commonly recognized as government or school obligations
- Deficit funding or debt retirement, including operating expenses due to budget deficits or shortfalls
- Problems related to an organization’s failure to adequately plan. Examples include:
- Waiting until a lease expires before trying to locate alternate space
- Not anticipating construction contingency costs
- Failure to plan for maintenance costs and/or replacement costs of existing equipment
How to apply?
Applications are accepted on a rolling basis throughout the year. Please submit your request in advance of the proposed activity. The Community Foundation does not reimburse activities that already occurred.
If there are adequate funds and the request achieves the goals of the fund, applicants will receive a check within one month. The funds must be used in the manner described in the application within six months. If you receive a grant, you will be asked to complete a short Follow Up Report.
Contact Sarah Ford, community and donor engagement officer, at 231.348.5820 or sford(at)phsacf.org.